Thursday, June 30, 2016

Teaching on Spirits: Day 30

Praying in the Spirit

In addition to the 6 pieces of the Armor of God, we are told to always pray in the Spirit.


"18 Offer prayers and petitions in the Spirit all the time. Stay alert by hanging in there and praying for all believers. 19 As for me, pray that when I open my mouth, I’ll get a message that confidently makes this secret plan of the gospel known. 20 I’m an ambassador in chains for the sake of the gospel. Pray so that the Lord will give me the confidence to say what I have to say." (Ephesians 6:18-20)

There's a lot of confusion surrounding tongues. The resources below will straighten all of that out.

To pray in the Spirit is to pray the will of God and to pray the will of God you must understand the heart and mind of God. In any relationship the only way to know the person is to spend time with them. The more time you spend with God the easier it becomes to pray in the Spirit (given that your life lines up in other areas as well).

Focus on how you're praying. There have been times where I couldn't get my words together but I trust and have faith that God knows what it is I'm trying to say by way of the Spirit.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." (Romans 8:26)

Many of our prayers lack power and effectiveness because they are not in /of /with the Spirit. Sometimes we also often get weary easily when we do not see a result of our prayers.

Let's be reminded that there are examples of "great works" done as a result of prayer:

"16 For this reason, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of the righteous person is powerful in what it can achieve. 17 Elijah was a person just like us. When he earnestly prayed that it wouldn’t rain, no rain fell for three and a half years. 18 He prayed again, God sent rain, and the earth produced its fruit." (James 5:16-18)

Resources:
1) What is praying in the Spirit?
2) Learning to Pray in the Spirit

No comments: