Tuesday, August 9, 2011

AAA Credit: The Arrogance, Audacity, and Auspiciousness of Jesus the Christ*

One of the things I just don’t get about Jesus is how this guy would go around making such outlandish claims! What’s even worse is that when he was confronted about it by people who knew better, he had the nerve not to back down or change what he thought he knew…  


Heavenly Father, we come to you now asking that you would open our eyes, our hearts, and our minds to receive whatever it is that you would speak into our lives through this time of reflection. May our weaknesses be revealed and the love of Christ shower down upon us, so that we may acknowledge how much we need you. Indeed, show us the truth in how you are everything you claim to be. Amen.
In my life I’ve constantly run into similar problems. For some reason they’ve all involved the opposite gender. I’m not sure if that is, as my coworker puts it: “the universe playing a cruel trick on me” OR perhaps some symbolism or parallel between Jesus’ life (i.e. Born of a woman, numerous interactions with women, and women being the first to attest to his resurrection) and my own. Either way, I can’t say I (fully) appreciate it.


Who wants to constantly be questioned about who they are, why they do what they do and how they do it?! Think about it…Could you really go through life doing what you know to be in the deepest of your heart the epitome of being you? This must be a tough pill to swallow; even more so, a difficult opposition to face.

I’ve been there and I’ve done that “more often than not”. Let’s take a look at what Jesus had to go through. For brevity we’ll take a quick ‘gander’ at the Gospel according to John chapter 8 verses 12-30.

First off we should address who Jesus is or at least “who he claimed to be”. Starting in verse 12 Jesus makes a claim, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” This guy thinks almost too highly of himself don’t you think? Not only is he claiming to be some mysterious “light” but he says that by following him you will get to LIFE. I don’t know about you but if I’m already alive and breathing, why on earth would I follow you?

Secondly, Jesus had a level of audacity like none other (I think not even Obama had one greater). The Pharisees who were the religious rulers or teachers of the day weren’t exactly trying to hear what this man was saying. They responded to him as most educated and sane minded folk would in verse 13, “You are making those claims about YOURSELF! Such testimony is not valid.” Now…I can understand where they’re coming from. I mean…do you really believe everything someone states about themselves? Unless you find a third party to verify or happen to have some type of trust in them, chances are you’ll be more than a bit skeptical. But it doesn’t stop there. Jesus decides to oppose their counter-claim in verse 14. “These claims are valid even though I make them about myself. For I KNOW where I came from and where I am going, but you don’t know this about me.” He goes on to teach them a thing or two about their own law, principally speaking the idea that WHEN two or three witnesses agree about something it is accepted as fact.

Lastly, if I had been Jesus in all of his arrogance and “un-Godly” audacity…I’m thinking I have to have some type of favor or opportunity as a result of these bold claims. This is where we see what I call the auspiciousness of Christ. For you see in verse 28 this arrogant of a man says, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will understand that I am he.” Where’s the favor in this situation? Well…for those who paid (and continue to pay) attention to his arrogant and audacious claims, they’ll be able to receive exactly what he said he could lead them to; LIFE.

Why?

The quick skinny:
• Coworker called me arrogant
• They said I "bring out the evil in people"
• [Still waiting for results]

What does this mean for me? #theReader

When you know who you are in Christ and who your Father is, as Jesus so delicately pointed out…when you’re at a point where “you know that you know that you know”, be prepared to face opposition. Even if you say exactly who you are there may be individuals who can’t vibe with that or possibly they become jealous of you. Perhaps there may be a situation where the Jesus in you “irks” them so, for reasons including: They know they need to change, they’re attracted to your light and/or they’re going through something and the light [inside you] is exposing their darkness.

  
Darkness doesn’t always have to be sin or evil. It can be things that we tend to deal with as a result of being human such as fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of what they know is right. Fear of change. Fear of being loved [with the love of Christ].

  
For further insight:
A more in depth look-Who is Jesus?
Arrogance vs. Confidence-No Not I

This is F.U.N. (For Ur Needs)

Use your KEYS
  • Know who you are in Christ
  • Expect to be persecuted by people
  • Your light will make their darkness tremble
  • Stay committed to what God has called you to; persevere
Challenge
  • You are created in his image…Rest in who you are, DON’T debate who you’re not. (Psalm 139:14) 
    • They will keep speaking in your ear!
    • Don’t be surprised if they say the same thing; eer’time (every time)
Bob Ya’ Head
In His Image(Pro) #PSAvol2

*Christ never defaults #guaranteed