Monday, September 26, 2011

Help Wanted: Inquire Within

Recently during my escapades in Pittsburgh [when I say escapades I really mean going to and from school] I’ve noticed various employers who are looking for additional help. Wendy’s™ is recruiting folks with a marquee that says, “Hiring for All Shifts”. There are also signs which read, “This is a place you want to work…” and it goes on to list various benefits to entice folk into at least being interested in applying.

In all honesty I’m thinking of applying myself, even though I was one to say I’d rather not do fast food or work in a grocery store.

Subway™ is also hiring and on their door is displayed a sign; “Help Wanted: Inquire Within”.

Hmm…help. That’s something we all need.


Psalm 121 (NASB)
1 I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.
3 He will not allow your foot to slip;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
4 Behold, He who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD is your keeper;
The LORD is your shade on your right hand.
6 The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul.
8 The LORD will guard your going out and your coming in
From this time forth and forever.

One interesting thing about the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and many other places is that it is full of people who need help. There are those who are homeless and/or less fortunate. We have our share of them who have been deemed “mentally ill”. I’d say I’ve seen more than enough of the share of those who could be looked at as outcasts or downtrodden individuals….people that may not be as well off as I, even though I’m only a student.

I realize how much we all need help and the only way to truly get help that will make a difference is to have someone “inquire within”. Jesus is a source of help for Christians that we look to. On the flip side the only way this “new hire” who works all shifts will be able to truly assist us is if we look inside ourselves and give way to the change that he makes possible.

We all want help but once people or Jesus start to inquire we become shy, back off, or shut down completely. Imagine an employer telling people that they are hiring only to turn around and say that they no longer need the help once you do inquire. What’s even worse is they may state, “We just need you to apply”. One of those situations where if they happen to need more “help” they have people lined up and ready to go to work. Applications on file don’t get work done. It’s a dynamic process of actually getting into the business and doing the work that makes a difference and ultimately a profit.


Sumthn2Ponder (s2p):
  • What kind of help do you need?
  • Is your help already here?
  • Are you willing to allow the help that comes to do their job?

In Case You Need It:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's difficult recognizing help, or its source. Sometimes you think you know what kind of help you need, but when help comes, it isn't what you expected.

And sometimes God calls the most unexpected people to offer help... #Ananaias...

I need help moving forward. And yes, the help is already there... I think the help that comes is going to require that I give up alot of things, including comfort. So ...

liMitz said...

Thanks a lot for leaving your comment...apologies for my delayed response as you're the FIRST! #congrats

This is so true...it boils down to this, "You know the truth, you just don't want to face it."

I too have realized that I need help and have to be more willing to reach out to those who are offering it.

Blessings and may you become open to the help you need.

We all could use him in our lives #Ananias

Brittany S said...

I love this post. It is mind boggling how us humans try to resolve various issues in our life when all God wants us to do is apply for HIS job. If we apply within by reading his word and applying ourselves, God wants to be our employer and reward us of the many "benefits" he has for us: grace, mercy, peace,resolution, etc.

Therefore, let us not lean our own understanding, but trust God and know that he with us on this job called "life."

liMitz said...

Very insightful Brittany...leaning not on our own understanding is difficult but it helps to always keep in mind that what we see/think/feel may not be God's reality.