Thursday, September 29, 2011

How much blood do you need?

A lot of people don't like blood. Even though we bleed when we get cut, scraped or bruised...for some reason a lot of folk just can't stand the sight of it. Even if it's their own! I've never had a problem with needles or bleeding. On the other hand I'm not one to sit around and stare at the remnants if someone "up-chucks" their breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Why is it that so many people have an issue with blood, especially those who consider going into the medical field?

John 19:33-34 (NIV)
33 But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34 Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water.

[Excerpt from September 17, 2011]

Today I went to my local grocery store for a free allergy screening. For the longest I had issues with my sinuses but seemed to get my reactions with sinus issues and allergens confused. I’ve gotten better over the years in being able to self-evaluate, but I still need help at times. I got to the grocer at about 1:15pm. Walked around for a little bit and eventually found the allergy screening line. There were maybe 7-10 people ahead of me. I found various ways to pass the time on my phone. Up to this time I still hadn’t eaten.

After about an hour and twenty minutes it was my turn. I thought to myself while in line how I was cold and that it might be an issue because I had to give blood from my finger. The consultant sticks my first finger and the blood slowly comes out. “Looks like we got problems here.” Eventually we move to another finger; same result.

Before he switched fingers I asked, “How much blood do you need?” “To this black line”, he pointed. I was way off. Most of the people who were getting their blood taken didn’t have an affinity for seeing blood, so much so the young lady next to me said, “You think that would be enough (blood).” I agreed. Oddly enough as I watched the blood slowly come out of my hand I reminisced on the blood that Jesus shed and how it never loses its power.

"It reaches to the highest mountain. It flows to the lowest valley. The blood that gives me strength, from day to day. It will never lose its power."

Funny…no matter how much Christ had to take beatings or be bruised and humiliated, no one stopped to ask the question, “How much blood do you need (to give)?” Even as he walked that treacherous road towards cavalry the guards and those forcing him to move forward in the midst of dehydration and who knows what other physical ailments; none of them said, “Wait. Isn’t that enough blood (shed)?” I’m curious to know exactly how much blood was shed. Not that knowing the amount would shed even further light on my worth, but give me a greater grasp of the Passion of Christ.

I ended up leaving with one finger bandaged that day and being thanked for my time, having not been able to afford the opportunity of an allergy screening. What was worth it was the knowledge and understanding that even as Christ continued in his state of passion, no matter if he thought “it was enough”, he still gave his all.

Sumthn2Ponder (s2p):
  • What does the shedding of blood mean to you?
  • Does it really matter how much blood Christ lost?
  • Is it possible that He gave "an ounce too much" ?


In Case You Need It: