Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Teaching on Spirits: Day 21

Mental Health / Mental Illness / Trauma

Before diving in I want you to understand my experience:

1) I participated in a mental health inquiry in 2014, which means I was one of many who was educated on and became an integral part of putting together a report on Northeast Florida's Mental Health status.

2) This teaching should "prove" my knowledge about certain spiritual things.

Mental Health is extremely important and we don't pay enough attention to it these days.

May was Mental Health Awareness Month...

I hear the Gov't doesn't invest as much in suicide prevention as other diseases.

This will change. I desire to make this my legacy...the Church needs to do a better job regarding Mental Health/Illness.

The enemy would love for us to believe that mental illness is just another part of life. Many contributing factors can cause mental illness or mental health issues, just as a bad diet can cause poor health in general.

Demons cause all kind of trouble in our lives including sneaking in when we have traumatic experiences. Childhood trauma plays a big role in why many as adults may not seem to have it all together. I do not believe all mental illness is caused by sin / the devil / etc, BUT we do know that God does not desire us to be sick at all AND due to the decision made in the garden we are still living in a fallen world. This means we need something or someone greater to help us overcome the fallen nature...his name is Jesus.

When a child experiences a traumatic event such as a loss of a parent at an early age there can be a "splitting of personality". What does this mean? Well, essentially you have 1) Child before trauma and 2) Child after trauma, and the person may continue to have pieces of them "split apart" based on life experiences.

Schizophrenia and Multiple Personality Disorder is kind of like this. There are also doctors who believe in the demonic causal factors of mental illness AND they also believe that it's not always demonic, as I do.

God wants us to be whole...so whether we are diagnosed as mentally ill or simply not living truthfully to who we are (i.e. ALL of us): there's a problem.

I've seen evidence of what I'm speaking of in several people in my life. Every issue we have is a result of something which is unresolved. Whether it is caused by demons, sin, etc. is an additional question to be asked.

The Teacher said it best:

"The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance [to the full, till it overflows]." (John 10:10 AMP)

Resources:
1) Conclusion
2) Epidemic in Kids
3) Mental Health Inquiry
4) T.D. Jakes
5) Schizophrenia Healed?!?!

No comments: