Monday, April 30, 2012

Selfish God

When God speaks...people listen.

She couldn't understand ...no, she wanted to know...wait...she asked for a perspective.

"How come I've done right for a significant part of my life, yet those who waited later on in their life to get things right seem to be...prospering. Is there no line (i.e. A queue)? Will I still get my reward points for the time I spent (e.g. Obedience, faithfulness, and discipline)?"

All I could do with what little experience I had after an interesting Lenten journey was point her to Abraham.

13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.

Amen.

This flow will be different than the usual.

....

It's Monday April 30 about 12:30am and I have yet to retire to bed, although I had planned prior to be asleep by now. A conversation that went off into the depths of the night has me awake preparing this for you, which you are currently reading.

A good friend of mine has been stuck in a place for about a month or so. So busy they are achieving much for the Kingdom (of God). Dedicated, committed, and what seems all is necessary in order to fulfill the task(s) at hand. 

I asked, "What's happening?!" She responded by saying, "You're going to have to ask more specific questions." For you see this friendship is one that runs deep. It was created years ago and continues to live from the water that is soaked up by the roots; an organism that does not cease to grow.

"How have you been?" Is that specific enough...this is when I hear, "I could just do as I usually do with normal people, but we're not like that....I've been thinking on this..."

She went on to explain, and as I sometimes do I asked, "Would you like some perspective???"

Everything from there changed....here's a recap on how Selfish God is.

------

So you want to know "how come" as a loyal, long-suffering, forever devout Christian (or devout to any craft) it is the case that others are able to have things that you don't. For example, if I'm in a performance based program shouldn't I be given the rewards that come with reaching each benchmark? Yet for some reason these people who showed up late, cleaned their plates and didn't even RSVP by the date seem to be doing better than I. What sense does this make?! None at all...

I encouraged her to think of Abraham. How he was called to go. And he went. The Bible says that his faith had him counted as righteous. All we really know is that Abraham was told to do something and he did it, not having much prior training, experience, or even much of a reason to trust some "voice".

We all want to be good at what we do. What happens when it seems like those who have put in less time, effort, and energy seem to be making off better than we in the present moment? How does that make us feel...should we be enraged? What about kind of slighted? Jealous...or extremely dissident? That's for you to decide.

My friend and I continued to talk and eventually we got to discussion of clay and specifically the Potter's intent for His clay. In the Bible it talks about "seeking first the Kingdom of Heaven and all these things will be added to you". Should I be upset if what my brother or sister has, is of yet an addition to me?! Will I even get what they have...am I supposed to have it?! I thought "all things" were gonna be added...what gives!

That's an interesting point. Somebody shows up to the interview on time, properly dressed, crosses their t's and dots their i's. Another, comes in shamefully late (by hours), dressed in a mediocre fashion not suitable enough for casual Fridays and somehow manages to get the job. Is there no prerequisite?! I thought if I do what I'm supposed to that I'd get what I ought to have. Surely this should not be! I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to, listening to the warnings and grumblings of those gone before me not to get off at unsightly detours but to keep my head up and stay focused, yet I lack where others seem to be gaining all too quickly.

[Specifically this friend was "concerned" about how people eventually make a decision to come to Christ and it seems that all is well in their lives despite the fact that they ignored Christ's promptings for them earlier on, typically seen in those who age between high-school and their 30's....those who "live their life first" and give themselves to "Christ later"] #frustratingIknow

Going back to this idea of "all things being added".

It's "all", not "any", or "some", or "many"...ALL THINGS.

What does this mean?! Depends...I've never had all things.

So what's really the point as I've dragged you on long enough :-p ....
  1. The Potter (i.e. Permanence)
  2. That Purpose (i.e. Assignment)
  3. Your Potential (i.e. Requirement)

***SN: Be up to PAR*** 

What makes God so selfish? It's simple really, but I won't give that to you just yet.

There's this idea that we are made in the "likeness and image of God". He is our "potter" and we are "jars of clay". As an artist, you create...your creation is YOUR work. It's purpose is determined by you. It's worth is demonstrated through your efforts.

As a potter you take a lump of clay, you mold it into what you'd have it to be...you reshape if necessary via fire and other mechanisms. 

How would you feel if your creation said to you its creator, "How about a little more potential? You made me to be nothing more than a bin for collecting rubbish." 

Wait a minute...people create things to serve "simple" purposes? Hold up...

If I was created to be nothing more than a garbage man...sorry, sanitation engineer...should I be upset if that is my duty to fulfill? Am I within my right to be angry and infuriated because my Creator chose me for what I feel is a menial task? Never mind that I was created to be the greatest "garbage man" in my city.

How does one who did not assign attributes, strengths, weaknesses and the like say or think towards the One who did, "Is this all you created me to be?"

Flip that...am I, "future leader of ____" to say, "How could you expect so much?!"

Simple..."IT'S WHO YOU'RE CREATED TO BE!"

.... b/c God is selfish. Like. That.

He created us in his image, because he loved us first (and loves us continually). We're free to do what we want but those who belong to him can't because they cling to obedience and in order to have any meaning must fulfill their purpose which is THE highest calling...in order to glorify him!

STILL don't believe me?!

Think on these lines from the Lord's Prayer:

"Our Father, who are in Heaven. Hallowed be your name. Your Kingdom come. Your Will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day, our daily bread. And forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For yours is the Kingdom and the power and the glory...FOREVER. AMEN!"

His name is to be hallowed (i.e. Consecrated, Holy, Blessed ). The Kingdom is His, the Will to be done is His...in order for us to make it daily He must give us the bread. We can't be forgiven by Him UNLESS we forgive others. And even though He won't lead us into temptation and will deliver us from evil....the kingdom, power, and glory, is His, FOREVER!

[insert evil God laugh here]

It just doesn't make sense to me. That's. Pretty...selfish.

In closing I'll use this book review of the "Holy Bible King James Version" to further firm my grounds for the thought of God's selfishness:
"The plot follows the antagonistic character God, an angsty old man hungry for power, who becomes bored in his isolation...apparently forgetting that he forgot to teach them what it means to be "wrong"...and then the fun really begins! 
Follow God through the years as he overcomes obstacles..."

Don't you get it?! It's all about Him...what a drag.

-----

I know this is a bit all over the place. In all honesty it's tough to replicate what happens when the Spirit moves. This is a very small portion of that conversation.

Understand that in life you may get what's due to you and you may not. Knowing that you have a purpose to fulfill makes life worth living. Grasping the concept of what that purpose is...well then the "flood gates" really do open. Imagine getting to your "due date" (i.e. expiration) and knowing that once you were an inanimate object, given the breath of Life...you lived, and did EVERYTHING you were "inspired" to do and be, including having "all things" added to you.

The Apostle Paul said that he had been "poured out as a drink offering". He lived his life up to par (i.e. A level of pre-determined equality).

Don't worry about what you don't have. If it's yours, stay in your zone and you'll get it sure enough. For some reason if it doesn't come, maybe you didn't need it.

Some need signs and miracles as proof, others just have faith enough to believe. 

Where do you fit....fall in line.

When time is done tickin' you should be able to say that you used the time you had, to do all you HAD to do and that there was nothing left to be done.

There's nothing greater than for a potter, artist, parent, maker to look at what was molded, created, produced or shaped and see that it met all expectations within the given time constraints. Even greater is that clay jar which exceeds its intended potential.


GraceNPeace,

liMitz

P.S. Don't call it a come back...we just keep it movin'.