Monday, October 17, 2011

Securely Insecure

What's happenin', what's up!!!

It's National CyberSecurity Awareness Month....not that you care; perhaps by the time this is done you will.

Oh yeah...it's also National Breast Cancer Awareness Month & National Bully Prevention Month. That's a mouth full. CyberSecurity, Cancer, and Bullies...do the three mesh together at all?

I have no idea, but beyond the prevention and awareness there are a few things I do know; we have become securely insecure. Stick with me...

You, protect us and guide us. You, allow all things which will occur to happen. You, are our force...our shield...our rock and our refuge. You, O Lord are our security. May we have assurance in you that you have in a way metaphorically "insured" us against certain expected ends. Regardless of the world around us and the ever increasing angst to be more secure, may we continually look to you in all times. Whether we are with much or little, rich or poor, healthy or deathly ill...may we be content. In your arms may we know that we are secure. Amen.

Wow...it's October already!!! Who would've thought that time flies rather we decide to have fun or not? First off let's get to the heart of the issue: security. In the field of cybersecurity we're always throwing out precautions and how folk need to be better prepared and educated to deal with certain cyber related mischief. We put on workshops and train up the best and the brightest to go forth and become cyber warriors. On the flip side looking at physical security, we spend droves of money; billions of these $ to try and afford some assurance that we are able to ensure our safety from threats abroad, specifically in the United States.

There's been an ever increasing cost placed on the value of safety. Monies go towards what I call a "security blanket" which includes technology, people and processes. There was the creation of the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Defense seems to have a budget that is constantly on the upswing. Although, cuts in certain areas that back military operations might help with our "budget deficit", I understand with what little knowledge that I do have the importance of these agenda "line items".

Think about it...when they introduced the color coded charts for terror alerts, did that make you feel any safer while traveling? "Oh good...the alert is only at level _____ today. We should be fine."
 
We have an increased attention towards the effectiveness of manpower and intelligence, aspiring the general public to become more cognizant of their surroundings:
"If you see something, say something". 

On a level from 1-10 how ridiculous do you think airport security measures have gotten? One "jack-in-the-box" decides to put explosives in his shoes and now I constantly have to wear dark socks so that my whites don't need any extra bleach while doing laundry. There's also the "millimeter wave machines" where you stand in a position that is all too similar to being under arrest and/or the pat-downs which serve as alternatives.

Lastly, there are cameras EVERYWHERE. I am a big brother and try to look after my little one often, but you've got to wonder the cost and worthiness of being watched.

"Do you ever feel like somebody's...watching you?"



I'm sure this is about more than saving 15%....

The takeaway:

On August 23 at a conference for cybersecurity no less, I experienced my first earthquake. I remember it like it was yesterday. We had come back from lunch and were in the first 15min of the session. There's a rumble...it grows "louder". I start to wonder if Jesus has come back. The floor is trembling from fear. The walls are shaking. As I look to the ceiling I realize, "This is real". I'm calm, but wondering what will happen next. "Is death eminent? Am I about to meet my maker...how are all of these people going to react?"

Naturally the speaker says it's time to head out and so we do, and in orderly fashion #veryImpressive. We stand out in the halls of this building in upper Maryland and wait for the word. "Evacuate the building."

Conversations ensue and you hear much of, "Is this your first earthquake", to "....." #silence.

I must admit during the time of the earthquake as I looked to the ceiling I felt like Steven with his eyes to the Lord as he was being stoned to death. I was ready for whatever might come. There was no fear in my heart because this was something natural and beyond my control. I was open and willing to endure whatever might happen.

Back to our discussion...

Have these things really made us any safer?

Why?
The quick skinny:
  • So many things are done in the name of security, but there's only 1 way to be secure for eternity.


What does this mean for me? #theReader 

Start thinking of ways that you can embrace the concept of death. I'm not telling you to ponder on what it'd be like to die. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't take for granted that there's a real possibility that at any point in time, that point in time could be your last physically on this earth. You won't be able to do "one more thing". Enjoy everyday that you have, and whatever you take solace in concerning your "security", make sure it's impenetrable. 

For further insight:
Read-Stoning of StevenCyberSecurity Awareness MonthRecent Event

Sumthin2Ponder(s2p):
  • How safe do you feel at any given time?
  • If you were given a 2-5 minute advanced notice of your death, in what way(s) would you respond?
  • Does an increase in security reduce our fear of death?

In Case You Need It:



Shout out to all military personnel, their families, and all "workers" who perform in the name of "security"; more importantly making this world peaceful and habitable.