Monday, October 10, 2011

I Swear

Have you ever got caught up in a conversation where someone starts to talk about another person in a negative way, or at the least a way in which said person's qualities and characteristics don't make them out to be a "good person"? I wonder what we would think if we were able to get a transcript of every time someone used our name in a conversation. Would we be pleased? Embarrassed? Disappointed? Worried?

For me I would hope that in at least 85% of the conversations it's something positive that is being said. For the other 15% I know there are folk out there who don't get it, don't get me, and don't get Christ. Besides in academia 85% is a high B and I've always pushed to be above average; C what I mean?


Father, you have given us these precepts, laws, and guidelines not so that we may be enslaved but so that we would truly be free because all good and perfect things come from you. Have mercy on us as we struggle to come to a better understanding of what it means to speak without deceit or perverseness. Teach us the way that you would have us to to converse. Amen.
"You must not misuse the name of the Lord your God. The Lord will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name." (Exodus 20:7 NLT)
Recently in a bible study session that I attended we were looking at the book of Genesis and trying to grasp the "fall of mankind" in chapter 3. Sin had now come into the picture and things were beginning to look more different.

One of the members of the group mentioned how, "You always hear people use God when they're swearing. It's because they know there's power in that name...never would hear 'Oh my Buddha'."


Interesting...We never would hear that, would we?

Recently I've been more attentive to what people are saying around me and I wasn't surprised to find out that this is true. This seems to be an obvious case for the relativity of Christ and how even if someone doesn't believe in the Doctrine of Christ they at least aren't shamed to admit in a foolish kind of way that they believe in God.

Here are some examples:

  • I swear to God
    • The Bible clearly points out that one should refrain from swearing period, although when under authorities such as in court cases it is permitted
  • God D--nit 
    • I once heard a church member reply to a Pastor's rebuking of such usage (during the sermon) by humorously saying, "It's Got ..." Yes that makes it all better
    • Also, think about it this way. "God." 'Yes my...' "D--nit" 
  • Oh my God!
    • Don't forget what OMG originally stands for when you use it as part of your shorthand convo.
  • As God as my witness
    • Do you think God is willing to co-sign anything for you? More or less be a witness...
  • Mother of God
  • For the love of Christ
    • At least they know that at the center of his ministry is LOVE
  • Oh my Lord!
    • Surely there's no other "lords" that you would be referring too, unless you live in a place where serfdom still exists, or if you refer to a king as "My lord"
  • Lord have mercy...
    • When we aren't really in need or asking for it
  • Jesus F***ing Christ
    • It's really cool when you slow it down and say it loudly.
    • I currently go to school with some sailors and this definitely proves that by sailing on a boat and serving your country, you too can "curse like a sailor"
  • Jesus (Jesus Christ, Jesus of Nazareth)
    • This is normally used in a time of frustration as well
  • Holy Sh**
    • How can anything described in such a way be considered Holy?
  • Holy ____ (Fill in the blank)

I think each the Father, Son and Holy Spirit got their share so we'll move on.

I'm not saying that I don't say any of these as at one time or another I'm sure I have, but I am also growing in more of an understanding of why it's important not to speak this way or say these things.

My only suggestion to this disease would be more of the same, except we expand the pool to include other religious leaders such as Buddha, Muhammad, and Joseph Smith*. Then again it doesn't sound as good...I'll let you test it out if you dare.

Why?
The quick skinny:
  • It struck me as interesting when I realized that this is true based on my current life experience.


What does this mean for me? #theReader 
Understand that this isn't about what's right or wrong, but more a less something to think on. Is there a reason why many people use God or Jesus in these references versus any other prominent figures? Would you like it if people used your name in a way for which it wasn't meant or beneficial?

For further insight:
Read- Am I Using His Name in Vain?Phil 4:81 Cor 6:12-13

This is F.U.N. (For Ur Needs)  Use your KEYS
  • Know that you were created to worship God
  • Expect to question why you do and say things the way you do for a deeper understanding
  • Your approach to how you make changes in how you do things reflects how well you are able to adjust
  • Stay true to who you are but also be willing to consider if "who you are" is as far as you can go

Challenge
  • Take a habit that you think is bad or frowned upon by folk (such as swearing) and work to not do it for  a day, and then a week...try 2 weeks and then assess if there was a difference/change that occurred because of it
  • You can also try going an entire day without speaking in a negative manner. This doesn't mean that you can't be honest, you just can't do it negatively :-)

Bob Ya’ Head
G.O.D. (Canton Jones)

*I have no shame in admitting that this is a direct dig at the Mormon Church. At some point in time I'll explain why. Just know that besides being somewhat humorous to me it's also a sign of what is to come; a discussion of my personal experience with the Mormon Church, as well as other "movements".

2 comments:

Brittany S. said...

Funny that I should come across this post. The other day, I actually felt uncomfortable when someone talked about my previous employer in a negative way.

The person thought they were being funny, but in reality, it was just plain ol' rudeness!

What if God was actually living on this Earth to hear us talking in such a manner? Would we change the script or blaspheme to the nth degree?

This post definitely makes you question one's self and our daily dialogue....

liMitz said...

Yeaa...I have daily conversations with myself (that God listens too) where I say, "Self, was it really necessary to say that. What'd you accomplish? Could it be interpreted another way?!"

It's a challenge to really think on the things we do and say without hesitation, but the more mindful we are the more peaceful we can become in realizing that sometimes our "swearing" causes our moods and outlooks to change.