Monday, September 12, 2011

Going Pork for Christ: We Don’t Want that J.I.W.

All…. I wanted was for her to have a better outlook on life.
All…she needed to do was be honest with herself.
All… he thought he was doing was protecting her, yet she never acted as if in need of protection.

How do things play out when you put your faith on blast in the workplace?
Who knows…every situation is different and if you’re not careful there may be some anti-Semitism.

“We don’t want that J.I.W. !”


Papa, thank you for your ever abounding grace and mercy. No matter what trials or tribulations we face help us to remember that you have overcome this world. Let us not forget that we will be tested, tried and possibly put on trial for what we believe. Give us the strength to endure all persecution. May we not be anxious about anything but approach all things with prayer and supplication. In your Son’s name we pray. Amen.

Some folk just don’t want that…Jesus in the workplace. Many people appreciate having him around. Others may make a funny comment when you ask to bless the food before your office holiday party. “Sure, if you must!”

Why is it that in time of need, danger, or serious circumstance even the atheists at war are provoked to call on the name of God, yet we are so afraid and discouraged in being 100% real with those around us at all times. No matter where I am you get all of me. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll come to understand all that makes up this complex individual, but believe me I’m there.

...

You know how the story goes. Boy starts job. Girl starts job the following week. They “fall in like” and then things go sour. Boy stays true to who he is and tries to help girl, but girl doesn’t want help. All the girl can remember is that the boy told her, “Jesus wants you to change” even though the boy never said that.

There came a time after the mentioning of Jesus where it had become a problem. My partner who was there during the course of this interesting project came to feel that he needed to defend the young lady as if what had transpired was wrong. I didn’t understand. This guy says he’s a believer too; what gives?!

You could’ve used a better approach…

Ok, this may be true but what’s done is done right? Before the conversation or “come to Jesus meeting” got started I told her, “You can leave whenever you get ready. If you don’t want to answer any questions, you don’t have to.” I felt I covered my basis fairly well.

It’s not just all her…

This is probably very valid. I’m sure I contributed to some of the issues I had developed with my fellow coworker. Besides the fact that I knew she had a negative outlook on life, I suppose it doesn’t help us if I remain positive most of the time.

There’s a time and place…wasn’t the right time or place to get into that conversation

I’m really not sure when there will be a perfect time to tell someone they’re lost, get married, have kids, graduate with a degree, go parasailing, do mission work…get the picture?

17-20 "Don't be naive. Some people will impugn your motives, others will smear your reputation—just because you believe in me. Don't be upset when they haul you before the civil authorities. Without knowing it, they've done you—and me—a favor, given you a platform for preaching the kingdom news! And don't worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. 21-23 "When people realize it is the living God you are presenting and not some idol that makes them feel good, they are going to turn on you, even people in your own family. There is a great irony here: proclaiming so much love, experiencing so much hate! But don't quit. Don't cave in. It is all well worth it in the end. It is not success you are after in such times but survival. Be survivors! Before you've run out of options, the Son of Man will have arrived. (Matthew 10:20-22 MSG)

…trying to tell you what appropriate office conversation [is]

I guess what confuses me is how after the “Jesus wants you to change” conversation occurred things were good. A few days go by and even though we talk about what happened, there’s no real issue other than the fact that it could’ve been handled better.

23 Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. 24 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 25 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed? 26 If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels. (Luke 9:23-26 NLT)

My thoughts on it are this: If every time I went to church I expected the Preacher to spoon feed me, I wouldn’t go. I can do that myself.

The reality of the Gospel is that it calls us to dig deep into ourselves and get rid of all that is not like Christ. It’s not going to feel good. It may make you squeamish and have you stump out of the church.

The Gospel is a mirror and many times we don’t like what we see.

I’m not sure what could be more appropriate than meeting someone where they are…politics, religion, or life outlook.

The conversation that was had is no different than a sermon I’d preach from the pulpit…maybe I should’ve took the pulpit to work that day.



Why?

The quick skinny:
  • I was thankful for my partner’s help during the conversation
  • He was being challenged by what transpired
  • We agreed to disagree and I never believed that I did anything wrong
  • The conversation between the 3 of us happened in my cubicle (i.e. My personal work space)


What does this mean for me? #theReader 

You’ve got to be ready to be a witness. If there’s anything you believe, you have to be able to step through why you believe it. If someone wants to know how your beliefs can be applied to their lives, you won’t be able to tell them if you aren’t prepared. Always stay true to what you are and your convictions, but be prepared to reflect and make adjustments when necessary.


For further insight:
Your faith may cost you your job- A Small Cross Pin
Read the conversation- Jesus in the Workplace (Mirror Site- PDF)
What do you look like?- Mirror, Mirror (James 1:21-25)


This is F.U.N. (For Ur Needs) 

 Use your KEYS
  • Know that you will be persecuted as a believer
  • Expect to have others in your “circle” disagree with you
  • Your faith must be exemplified in everything you do
  • Stay ready to tell all of this joy that you have and how they can get some too!

Challenge
  • Remain unashamed about what you believe (Romans 1:16)

Bob Ya’ Head
Burning Fire (Red Ink Army)