Friday, April 4, 2014

Work: My Vision for A...

Do you see what I see?

Gracious Giver,
Help us understand our work.
Why we do it; if it's necessary.
And if it pleases you.
Amen.

Ah, yes, siesta, siesta! What would be more wonderful than being able to take a mandatory break everyday? Go home eat with family and friends, kick back and let the mid-day dreams roll in. I hear there's a benefit to napping during the day. It increases your productivity, namely through creativity.

Back in 2012 when I had my world turned upside down, I got a chance to come back home to Florida and begin to ruminate on everything...and I do mean everything (short of the meaning of life, of course). Having a sense of what would be the next step or an eventual step in my journey, I jotted down notes...


Essentially, at the moment, I was trying to discern/discover a vision for America. More specifically, my vision for America. When you think about it though, these ideas/thoughts can be applicable to anyone anywhere given the fundamental aim of the vision/notes jotted down. Obviously, from the perspective of being a future leader of America, it would make sense that the good ole USA was my focus at the time. You see, when I was an AmeriCorps member way back in the day I made a pledge. Not sure if I've mentioned this before; here's part of it:

I will get things done for America - to make our people safer, smarter, and healthier.
...
Faced with conflict, I will seek common ground.
...
I will carry this commitment with me this year and beyond.
...and I will get things done.
The full pledge can be found here. It's no wonder I take my commitment to people and communities seriously, although most of this started in the church. Much of my preparation for life came through this way.

I know a woman who decided one day that she wanted to retire and within 3 days (or less) after having discussed it with her husband, sped up her retirement plan. It all started with, "I think I'm going to retire". Once that feeling hits you, it's pretty much said and done. "I've been working since I was 14...I'm tired." My response: You and me both. Now I know I haven't worked as long as her (or potentially as hard), yet I do know I have worked (with a certain level of intensity that allows me to be out of work/vacation for 6 months). She also happened to mention that she should've been a veterinarian instead of an engineer; this following an anecdote of how she brought strays home at the beginning of her marriage due to her love/care for animals.

Have you ever wondered why you work? Like, really really think about it beyond the necessities of paying bills, supporting your family (or yourself if you're single), trying to get to the ultimate dream job you really want...stop me while I'm hot! Reality is, a lot of us work and in many cases it's for the 'next thing'. The constant urge and desire for what's next never grows cold. I can say I've legitimately been working for...almost a decade. Longer if you count the volunteer work and ministry projects that were unpaid. School in itself at times is a job. Wouldn't it be great if things worked out in a way where everyone was truly happy with their job? You used to be able to go to school for something and have a job waiting for you upon completion; not the case anymore.

Right now I'm in the process of searching for work and had an interview recently. In mulling over everything I heard and saw, I always come back to the question of: Does this fit with what I need to be doing in my life (right now)? This question is 3-fold. There's the notion that I want to be employed working on problems directly related to my education, growing professionally from the challenges, and being satisfied in what I'm doing. Sometimes you won't know until after you start a job and really get into it. In other cases it's best to forgo an opportunity if you aren't sure (or take it on and try your luck!).

“Do not depend on the hope of results. You may have to face the fact that your work will be apparently worthless and even achieve no result at all, if not perhaps results opposite to what you expect. As you get used to this idea, you start more and more to concentrate not on the results, but on the value, the rightness, the truth of the work itself. You gradually struggle less and less for an idea and more and more for specific people. In the end, it is the reality of personal relationship that saves everything.” -Thomas Merton

My vision for America is simple when it comes to work. This is based on the current "conditions" of what I understand work to be for most people:

  • More focus on family (i.e. Work-life balance)
    • Resource employees or point to resource options
  • Less work, Less stress
    • 40 hour work weeks
    • 4 day work weeks where/when feasible
  • Equal work. Equal pay. Unions.
  • Healthcare coverage
    • Mandatory vacation; step beyond "use it or lose it"
    • Exercise on the job (this is done at the federal level of gov't)
    • Increased Mental Health Awareness [and action]

For some employees these things are a given, but I do feel that for many these notes are a "wing and a prayer away" from reality. Some of this stems from a poor economy, others potentially from greed in a capitalistic society, and undoubtedly the competitive nature of how things are. We've got to be better, faster, ____ than the next guy. It has its advantages and disadvantages. A nation's economy is only as strong as their individual units; many people call these units families. Better conditions/terms for work won't solve all of our problems, but it would give us an opportunity to level the playing field a little more.

Besides, who doesn't want a community, country, collective where everyone is able to contribute to the overall wellness we each experience? The healthier you are the more apt you become to give of yourself and help others. The less worries and anxieties you carry, the greater your focus and possible influence. We talk about change, making it better, and turning things around. This is part of that process.

Why?
The quick skinny:
  • We overwork. We overshop. We overeat. But we still haven't figured out the over-under on life.

What does this mean for me? #theReader 
Understanding why you work can help shed light on some of your motivations in life, if any. Rarely should you do something "just because" without knowing what drives the doing.

For further insight: Read-Mental Health Day, 40 Hour Work Week, Long CommutesJob StressTake Vacation, What's a Stop Day?, Treadmills on the Job

This is F.U.N. (For Ur Needs)  Use your KEYS
  • Know that work is meant to be fruitful
  • Expect to take a stop day now and again
  • Your habits could be your downfall
  • Stay on task in context

Challenge
  • Determine why you work
  • Take a Mental Health Day

Bob Ya’ Head

Do us a favor and list below in the comments section your favorite song about "Work".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know any songs about work that isn't sung by dwarves. But a song that describes my job is the Good morning song by Mandisa. My kids sing it when it is time for me to play it and they all dance along. It is very stress relieving. However, if it's played during the rest of my day I shut the radio off.

liMitz said...

Haha. Thanks for sharing that. I'm familiar with that song. Once is usually good enough for me too!