Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Greatest Proposal #crucifixion

"Take my hand." -Jesus



Today is Maundy Thursday. This is the day recognized as Jesus' final feast with his disciples (and possibly others). The dinner is known as The Last Supper. Something tells me Jesus will feast again.

On this evening before Jesus was to be betrayed by Judas he commenced washing the feet of his disciples. An interesting point to make here is that their feet weren't like ours are today, in socks and shoes. On the contrary. These feet were sometimes barefoot and often in "open-toed" sandals walking through the dusty, dirty, and grimy middle eastern streets. In other words, these feet were nothing to behold [as beautiful].

Eventually Jesus is betrayed, captured, and arrested. The folks in the city square would rather him be hung on a cross than a robber. He is then bruised and beaten, forced to carry his own cross until a stranger is urged to help him carry on. He's nailed. The cross stands erect and a man hangs there, mocked, ridiculed and misunderstood because he simply did what he was created to do. For me, there is no greater proposal than one willing to lay their life on the line especially when they've committed no wrong AND are taking on the punishment for others.

John 15:13 (NASB) #verseOfReflection
13 Greater love has no one than this, 
that one lay down his life for his friends.



Why is the crucifixion of Christ the greatest proposal?

How many people do you know that would die for someone else? Even someone they've never met...Didn't think so. Regardless of whether you question Jesus' divinity, it is a historical fact that he was crucified. What would cause someone to do this? That's got to be some major love.

In the cross I find the ultimate sacrifice; the best example love can give. I see...myself, not as a Savior, but as an individual who yearns to teach people a better way. A person who (has) pangs for those who don't get it, who don't have it, who don't know it. What is it? It is the love of Christ. They could get it, have it and know it if they chose to. Many of us choose not to. Why is that? Because someone hurt us or maybe we don't see enough examples of this type of sacrificial love today. Sometimes you have to look at Jesus' death on the cross and take it for what it's worth.

Usually when someone proposes or is proposed to, it's this immaculate plan or demonstrative effort. There's all the bells and whistles. They go all out. Maybe there'll be flowers, cards, and candy. Possibly a romantic dinner on a moonlit night. Some time ago there were a rash of really beautiful proposals that went viral online. They all were a sight to see indeed, but pale in comparison to what this man did. When he proposed his love (and his Father's love) for all of mankind and the forgiveness of sins.

A common or possibly old-school phrase at this point is, "Try Jesus. One size fits all." Well it's true. Just as God is infinite, Jesus stretches his arms as far as the east is from the west as a sign of his love for us. You may not have a relationship with him. Perhaps you aren't even on the first name basis, but I guarantee that if you "try him" (i.e. Befriend him), your life will change.

I've never really been too picky about whether I'll propose or if I'll be upset that my "manhood" is hurt because my future wife proposes to me, but what I do know is that Jesus' actions provided an offer that I couldn't refuse. A choice that I must reciprocate with my time and devoted love to live as he did, so that others might know a better way. You'd think that if Jesus liked us so much that he'd "put a ring on it". Truth be told, he put everything he had and was/is on the line. What more could you ask?

As we celebrate and reminisce about what Jesus the Christ stands for, did, and how he continues to impact our culture on this day...let's offer some moments of silence and reflection for what he means, not only to believers but for those who are hurt, broken, downtrodden, lost, hopeless, depressed, struggling, ....

And if any of those words describe you, I want you to know that you always have a friend in Jesus.

Amen.

Sumthn2Ponder (s2p):
  • How has Jesus' life impact/affected my own?
  • Will I accept his proposal?
  • What next steps must I take?

In case you need it

This Man (Jeremy Camp) Lyrics


Who am I? (Casting Crowns) Lyrics