Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Spiritual Arrogance…Yikes! Being a Backup is Important (SAY BABI)*

The things we do when we know we got it all figured out. Someone who knows better makes several attempts to whisper in our ears…we ain’t tryin’ to hear it! How tough it must be for the “man” who lives his life in such a way that it says, “I’m the expert (currently)…and even if I was wrong; can’t be”. Simply put as demonstrated here by one of the most outspoken athletes of our time Mr. Charles Barkley: “I may be wrong, but I doubt it.”



Now that you’re awake (hopefully) let’s take a look at how spiritual arrogance is a DEFENSIVE measure against the Holy Spirit…more importantly, we’ll see how it applies when it comes to the arrogance, audacity and auspiciousness of Christ (AAA Credit of Christ).

Great and eternal God, when the world was void without form or substance, it was you who stepped “out of the shadows” and declared ‘Let there be’…and there was. Even more awesome is the fact that: It. Was. Good. May we continue to press on in our journeys mentally, spiritually and physically…never succumbing to the idea that we know enough or using logic, rationale or reason to understand such simple things that you use to confound even the wisest of your people. Continue to be with us and immerse us in your presence so that we may see how WRONG we just might be (and actually are). In the name of the one who is mighty to save and quick to convict, correct and change; Jesus Christ. Amen.


(Weeks 1-4)
 I arrived on the scene and before I knew it I was being tasked to help a new team member as she would be learning the “ropes” with me. At the time (it being my first week), she was scheduled to arrive the following week. At first I wasn’t sure what was going on because I hadn’t encountered someone with this type of personality as of yet in my life. After a while it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that some of the signs and conversations might point to something more than common everyday workplace interaction. I decided to take what I thought was bait at the time: Playfulness and being touchy/feely, always acting in a “hard to get” sort of manner…not to mention she’s a southern girl (gal). 
In Proverbs 3:5-6 it speaks on how we should trust in the Lord AND lean not onto our own understanding. Needless to say I was already headed down a path without seeking any type of assistance in the matter, knowing good and well that this is what I should do.
  
(Weeks 4-6)
Not really sure what to think at this point. This person has some sort of “funky” personality. Anytime you ask her a question, she answers with questions; possibly avoidance or out of spite. I was noticing how I was being treated differently in comparison to other coworkers. In her words it was all about the “first impression”, although as I later mentioned in our “coming to Jesus” meeting, ‘perception is deceptive’. Supposedly my arrogance caused her to look at me a certain way and she was unable to shake it. Another habit I noticed was how she wasn’t consistent with responses; “whichever way the wind blows” seems to be how she’d go about various interactions. It was at this time that I was told, “You bring out the evil in people”. 
In Proverbs 11:2 we see the effects of pride and how humility is the best route to take. Although people usually answer questions when asked, it was clear that either this person was of a special caliber or I needed to consult some outside help.
  
Conversation ensues
Holy Spirit: You should ask for help…
liMitz: I think I know what’s going on here
2nd Instance
Holy Spirit: You should ask for help…
liMitz: That’s okay…I’ll pass
3rd Instance
Holy Spirit: You should ask for help…
liMitz: Wait…did you hear; must’ve been the wind
Although I knew…I really didn’t know; based on my actions.
My eyes were blinded
What sorrow for those who are wise in their own eyes and think themselves so clever. Isaiah 5:21 (NIV)

Finally…I prayed about it.

Background(Lecrae ft. C-Lite)



(Week 7)
The game is pretty much over at this point. I put her in the hot seat on Monday asking her questions here and there. She made it clear she wouldn’t change for anyone. The Friday of that week we had a disagreement and come to find out she didn’t like me and had never liked me (which is still up for debate).

All I can really do is continue to press on as I ought to according to Ephesians 4:2.


(Week 8)
On the Wednesday of this week God provided an opportunity and...I…was…ready. God had shown me favor for humbling myself to know that I didn’t understand why things were happening the way that they were, but that only he could make any good come out of this as quoted in James 4:6.


Some of the things I discovered (shown to me):
  • Past hurt (e.g. Hurricanes)
    • She’s a Katrina ‘survivor’
    • Life comes with natural and spiritual storms
      • Back in ’07 Hurricane Chris had everyone saying “A Bay Bay” #culturalContext
      • Not sure if that’ll get you through; just…SAY BABI
        • That deserves a #handClap
  • Disappointment
    • There was an event in her life that shook what "faith" she had
  • Pessimistic view on life but a positive approach #personality
  • Longing for something better #livingWater
    • Breaking out of comfort zones
    • Embracing change
What if I had asked for help all along…?
Arrogance- offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride
  • God must’ve been offended
  • What if God was speaking through her
    • Something underlying on the inside that needed to be killed…an unGodly level of pride?
 This is some of what was said during the course of this episodic endeavor.
  • “You’re arrogant”
    • Response: You’ve ‘known’ me for less than 1 week
  • “You bring out the evil in people”
    • Response: In a battle of good vs. evil I must be on my way to perfection (in Christ)
  • “I’m not going to change for anyone”
    • Response: I have not mentioned you changing…I don’t change people; just a tool. Only Jesus can do that. Do sick people know that they need to be healed?
  • “I don’t like you”
    • Response: Because of who I am they will either love me or hate me #soundFamiliar
    • You want to love me (Jesus) and know that you need me (Jesus), but because of things (hurt, fear, angst) you choose to deny your medication
  
Don’t get it twisted; however, the interactions that are listed here have less to do with my spiritual arrogance and more to do with what went down between her and I. Regardless of how I responded, if my heart wasn’t in a place to be open to a prompting from the Holy Spirit; “pour ya life out for nothin’”. Of course based on the way this experience is “ending”, I have to agree with Lecrae in saying “You pulled my card I’m bluffing. You know what’s in my hand.” #bobYaHead
Why?  

The quick skinny:
  • I thought she wanted me to chase her
  • I ignored the “writings on the wall”
  • I allowed the my intellectualization of the situation to blind me
    • My logic, reasoning, and rationale had failed ME
What does this mean for me? #theReader


First off, don’t resist sound judgment. As a Christian the Holy Spirit is there to help us discern and make better judgment calls than we could on our own. It’s similar to that feeling you get when something doesn’t sound right or seems too good to be true…only stronger. You have to be open and willing to listen when spoken to; how else will you get to a point where you hear clearly? Don’t think you know it all. Even when you do know a lot, there’s always someone who is more informed, has a keen sense of awareness and may have the resources needed to get to the root of the problem.

For further insight:
Research- Pride and humility in a biblical context #scriptureReadings


This is F.U.N. (For Ur Needs)


Use your KEYS
  • Know that you don’t know what you don’t know and that is enough to show you need help.
  • Expect to cry out to God for any situation or circumstance no matter the magnitude of it
  • Your job is to be obedient to Christ and allow him to work in others
  • Stay close to God and be open as he continues to draw nearer unto you

Challenge
  • Don’t think you know enough unless you’ve truly consulted the one who knows it all.
  • Even if you do know there's something you don't know and that may be the missing piece.
Bob Ya’ Head
  • Right before Week 7
In listening to this song as I do with other songs I tend to begin to play around with it and see how I can “make it my own”. The Holy Spirit spoke to me and the remix of this song would include something to the effect of “If you’d just move!”
That’s right…move. Move out of the way, allow him to do what HE does best and continue to have ‘stage fright’. 
*And stay outta the way #JesusStandard