Thursday, November 21, 2013

UMC Scandal Open Letter: Sinners Marry Everyday

To whom it may concern: The secret. Is out.


Once upon a time after being baptized as a child, having grown up in a more traditional church, and gone off to become my own man I came to understand the motto of the institution to which I belonged.



Now, I call it an institution in accordance with dictionary.com's definition, an institution being: an organization, establishment, foundation, society, or the like, devoted to the promotion of a particular cause or program, especially one of a public, educational, or charitable character.

I suppose these days my issue with the institution and those who practice their faith therein is that with all of the media attention brought onto the church within the last month or so pertaining to same-sex marriages, we have unfortunately shown ourselves to be of closed hearts, closed minds, and what we seem to be "appropriately" closed doors. Of course there are two sides to every coin: 1)Those who support what is being done in the name of justice and 2)those who are against those who fall into the former category.

Two big examples are currently playing themselves out:

  1. Gay coupled married by retired Bishop in Alabama
  2. Pastor sentenced for marrying gay son and partner in Massachusetts

What's interesting about the second instance is that the father who performed the same-sex union did so over 6 years ago, in a state where it was legal to do so at least a couple years prior to. Surely, it must have been tough for him to do so given the United Methodist Church's Book of Discipline, which is basically a book of rules that people who ascribe to being Methodists are to follow. 



I've been a Methodist all my life and I can guarantee you 100% that I don't follow it "to a T". Some of that has to do with ignorance whether inflicted upon me by previous leaders or simply allowing my faith and belief in Jesus Christ to progress as it has without being subjected to the rules. Ever overheard the phrase, "Well, the book says..." As most people with some sort of sense are aware, rules, laws, and the like can and often are rewritten.

Take a look at this list of laws which are still "on the books".

I mean, I get it. There are a set of rules and you are to abide by them specifically if you made a vow to do so. What seems to be an issue here, is there is some sense of conflict between "being in ministry with/for all persons" and the denomination's stance on homosexuality (See: Links). Beyond the issues involving those who perform in accordance with the law, is the bigger conversation which needs to be had on gender identity, sexual orientation, and our understanding of what it means to be male, female, gay, straight, and/or other. There seems to be scientific evidence as time passes on which suggests that we are more than a dichotomy of heterosexuality. The question becomes, "How do we reconcile our advancements in science with our understanding of our faith/philosophies?" They should support each other a great deal if both are true.

Putting someone on trial doesn't solve anything. It gives more fuel to a fire of people who are ready to split the church and drive a wedge even further into the body of Christ which we are warned not to do. There are simpler and more effective ways of handling these tragic events, unfortunately people resolve to do what they feel is best. Sometimes it's very quiet and other times it is extremely noisy.

Someone asked me earlier today if I believe that UMC Pastors should be able to perform same-sex marriages, here's an excerpt from my response:
"... 
The issue here is that marriage is a civil right in this country (i.e. USA), so it's not only for those that are a part of a religious body.

I do agree that they should perform the marriages given these conditions: 
1) It's legal to do so in the state in which the couple is being joined in union 
2) Their faith is convicted that to not allow gays to marry is an act of injustice; it's the right thing to do 
Not everyone will agree and that's okay. What really needs to happen is a conversation on our understanding of gender identity and sexuality. Bringing someone up on charges doesn't solve anything.  
Basically as Rev. Otis Moss III said, 'there's a difference between a right and a rite'.
..."

My beef is with the establishment and leaders who are only upholding the law without thinking of other effective measures as well. I read somewhere that they have begun considering having a conversation (as I've suggested). But why did it take so long? We've been having people perform these marriages for decades. My former church in Pennsylvania got in trouble for doing such a thing, although it wasn't "technically" a same-sex marriage. In addition, what about ALL the others who have committed this crime! Will we see them suspended too...I sure hope so. What good is justice if it isn't "for all"?! Did the General Conference last May not teach us anything?!

You know, I always told myself I would not watch the show Scandal for so many reasons, and then I realized...with all that's going on in the world and church today revolving around gay rights/issues, there's enough scandal to satisfy my appetite for a life time.

And if homosexuality is a sin, don't sinners marry every day? #whyUsoSpecial

GraceNPeace,

liMitz

Links: